Saturday 17 October 2009

Chester Zoo is amazing (and so is my husband)

For my Daughter's birthday in June, we asked family to put some money towards a zoo membership. We live really close, and we thought it would be the ideal present for her, as no matter our finances we could have a family day out on a regular basis.

At the time, my husband thought he had sciatica, so we had no idea that he would develop mobility problems. Almost as soon as we purchased our membership, his condition deteriorated. Last weekend we went to Angelsey with some friends, and a two minute walk at toddler pace along the beach left him in pain and needing to sleep. Days out as a family are among the things at the top of my list, but I didn't feel able to suggest using mobility aids at this early stage.

Yesterday, my husband suggested going to the Zoo. He phoned them up and told them about his mobility problems, and they arranged for a scooter. We parked right next to the entrance in disabled parking, where there were plenty of spaces, and the scooter was waiting for him just past the entrance. When I saw it, I had to hold back tears, as I think my reluctance to speak to him about mobility aids is also down to my unwillingness to accept his illness.

We had a fantastic day out, saw jaguars, monkeys and giraffes. I am so proud of him for taking what must be a huge step, and I am so grateful to Chester Zoo for having such well thought out access arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment